Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Gibby's Fave Five

Yeah yeah, we suck at updating. Some of us people have lives, right? My other blog is worse off than this... but that's not the point here. The POINT is to share my favorite characters from Brawl, so let's get to it.


1. King DeDeDe

King DeDeDe always wins. I'm serious. Even if he loses the physical fight, he wins a moral victory. He's that awesome. The very second I saw his DoJo update I knew I'd be using this guy, even if he sucked apricots. He does not, however, suck (well, his Final Smash isn't that great... fun to watch, though). He's pretty fast for a heavyweight, and as Matt said of Bowser, he's great for racking up those brutal KO's that make your opponent cry. He has a jet engine in his hammer. IN HIS HAMMER, THERE IS A JET ENGINE! He can chaingrab. But most of all, he's a giant penguin pimp with a tricked-out hammer who is just a blast to use. I love him to death.

2. Luigi

Luigi was my main man in Melee, and he's still one of my top operators. He's been improved vastly since the last game (Luigi? Attack on the ground? Impossible!) I can't really lay waste with him anymore (lack of practice, thanks to DeDeDe), but man, you can't touch this guy in the air. I like Luigi because I'm so comfortable with him, I know exactly what to do in any given situation. I'm like the color green, too, so there's a plus. I don't find him as fun to play as DeDeDe, though, probably because I've played Luigi to death (literally), but he still has a place in my Smasher's heart.

3. Olimar

I love how he's in the game, I love how he relies on killing his little friends to attack, I love how he's the scariest character in the game despite being two feet tall. That said, I HATE fighting him. Computer Olimar is a bastard, no question. Another thing I love his how well his attacks came out. Olimar is a pain in the ass to use correctly, though, so I don't use him as much as I'd like to, but the cute little bugger found his way onto this list. Also, his taunts are adorable.

4. Sonic/Snake

I decided the roll these two into one because I like them both equally for different reasons. Sonic, I think, turned out really well, maybe not in terms of fighting ability (everyone will agree he's a difficult character to learn), but moreso in terms of just being fun. I like his character model (not his voice... blech) and his moveset is really well animated. I just like watching him move around and attack, even if I lose as him most of the time. Overall, I think he fits in really well.

I'm a lot better with Snake, who is kind of the opposite of Sonic, but requires no less amount of practice and finesse. I don't know how hard they had to work to get Snake to fit in with this game, but it paid off, because he really doesn't feel out of place. Sometimes after a match I do a double take and realize I just beat up Diddy Kong with Solid FREAKING Snake, but it passes quickly. He's fun to use, too, and I just love blowing things up. I just wish he had three different taunts instead of the box.

5. Mr. Game and Watch

The only black man in the game, G&W is pure madness. He was my second main in Melee but has dropped a few spots since then, mostly because of other characters needing to be tried out. But I still whip him out when I need to lay a nasty beating and DeDeDe needs a break. He's better than in Melee, and his new nair isn't really that big a deal (I actually like it better than Parachute... well, some days, anyways). He's hard to predict and makes a lot of annoying noises to distract the opponent, and he's just a pure hunk of awesome. He is Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos. Just don't get hit by Ike.

Runners-up: Wolf, Pikachu, Meta-Knight, Lucas, Bowser, Pokemon Trainer

No comments: