Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Favorites: Matt's Picks

Need a simple way to get content? Share a simple, to-the-point opinion! So, to bridge the gap until the first character profile is done, the cap'n and I will share a little bit of our personal tastes, hopefully giving you a better idea of what you might see on the blog in the future. Me first.

So, what is it? Why, I will give you my Top 5 favorite Brawl characters. These are the five characters I love to play as the most, for various reasons. So, get to know my preferences, varmints:

1. R.O.B.
I have to admit, when I first heard R.O.B. was in the game, I knew I was going to love him. I mean, he's a robot! A ROBOT! Robots are great.
But even ignoring my robot fixation, R.O.B.is a really fun character to play as, with a nice mix of moves. When I land one of R.O.B.'s powerful attacks, it is really satisfying. He also has entertaining throws, another one of my soft spots.
One thing I really like about R.O.B. is the goodness of his special moves. They are all useful, they present quite a bit of variety, and have multiple uses. Whether I'm ricocheting lasers across the screen or spamming my opponent with robo-dreidles, I have reliability and utility on my side. Plus, his attacks are just fun to use.

2. Wario
Wario is another case of me liking a character long before I played as them. I'm a big WarioWare fan, so seeing the star carrying the spirit of that series into the Smash Bros. was grand.
Wario is an odd character, as expected. Like R.O.B., he has a decent mix of powerful and combolicious moves, and even shares an affinity with aerial attacks. Wario, however, lacks the strong, versatile special moves of the rockin' robot (which is why he's ranked higher). But where Wario lacks in immediate, obvious power, he makes up for in surprising opponents and adding to the chaos of a heated match.
Many of Wario's moves either requires patience (Wario Waft) or a good eye for choosing the best moments to pull them out (Chomp, Corkscrew). But seeing someone fall for them is great, and in those moments are very useful. Of course, once you're done messing with opponents, Wario has a few power moves that can used to take them out. So while Wario may be a more difficult to get used to, he is incredibly fun to master, and is especially fun in 3/4-player matches, where others are more likely to be caught off-guard.

3. Bowser
Aw, my Melee favorite. He's been knocked down a few notches, but that doesn't mean I like him any less. I like heavy characters, if only for their raw power. It's just the most giggle-worthy time when you send opponents reeling with a single blow, and Bowser is one of the greats at this.
Bowser feels much more refined in Brawl, although it's hard to pinpoint. Certainly, his hilarious new side special is a major improvement, but the rest of his moveset feels a touch faster, maybe. Maybe the new physics engine just lends itself more to his style of play? I don't know at this very moment. What I do know, however, is that Bowser is who I go to when I want to get the most brutal KOs possible.

4. Pokemon Trainer
I'm incredibly lucky: one of the most inventive characters in the game is composed entirely of parts that I enjoy. I get a good selection of characters here: Squirtle as a fast, annoying bugger with good combo moves and surprisingly powerful smash attacks; Ivysaur as a slower character who can annoy others with his rapid attacks before sneaking out a surprise explosion; or Charizard, a more traditional power type with good jumping ability and Bowser's fun fire breathing. And I get to change between them at will! There's enough power within the entire trio to appeal to me, and I can choose whoever I want to start with to suit my mood.

5. Yoshi
Back in the days of the original Smash Bros., Yoshi was my main man. For one reason or another, he/it didn't feel the same in Melee. However, in Brawl, Yoshi feels...better, once again for one reason or another. I like his/its new Egg Throw hover, and while it isn't really a third jump, it saved my ass more than once. Yoshi is quick, with good smash attacks, good reach, and some fun mutli-hitting aerial moves. I've always liked Yoshi, and Brawl has him/it feeling much better.
Hmmm...now that I think about it, aside from the hover, Yoshi really hasn't changed all that much. Maybe it is the changed physics? Or maybe I just figured out how to use him/it properly? That is possibility. Whatever.

Runners-Up:
Lucas, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Diddy Kong, Ike, Zelda, Lucario

1 comment:

Cap'n Gibby said...

Just signing in, yo.